Company Number 10411643. © All rights reserved, STEEP 2019
- This event has passed.
Natural Thinkers – Connecting Children to Nature
17 June @ 09:30 - 15:00
Raising Achievement, Health and Wellbeing for Children from 2 – 11 through connecting children to nature
By purchasing this ticket you agree to abide by our terms and conditions (see below)
Time: 9.30am to 3.00pm
Venue: Hatcham Oak Children Centre
Come prepared to be outdoors for part of the day whatever the weather!
Tea/coffee is provided, however we suggest you bring your own lunch with you as the shops are 10 minutes walk from the venue.
Why choose the course?
This training will enable teachers and practitioners to become confident in using the natural environment. Central to the Natural Thinkers programme are 10 commitments which will be explored. These give a structure for teachers and practitioners to follow enabling aspects of all areas of the curriculum to be accessed.
The course covers:
- Importance of outdoors
- Overview of the 10 commitments
- Risk assessments
- Practical learning experiences
- To demonstrate how to connect children to nature through accessible activities
- To explore how to support children to respect and understand their role in protecting the environment
- To look at how to make food growing a part of children’s lives
- To discuss ways of promoting children’s health and emotional well being
- To look at creating nurturing environments that encourages communication and a sense of belonging
Practitioners will be able to:
- Devise an action plan to develop the provision of high quality outdoor learning under the ten commitments which will promote children’s health and wellbeing
- Develop resources and ideas for enabling the curriculum to be delivered outside
“Excellent training, research to back up and support with changing mindset of staff team!” Luton Practitioner
“This is one of the best training I have attended I would recommend it to everyone.” Lambeth Teacher
“Having the practical sessions made the course very powerful. Great training.” Haringey Practitioner
“Loved every bit of it. I will use what I have learnt to inspire teaching and support staff for outdoor learning.” Wandsworth Teacher
About Jo Gordon?
Jo Gordon works as an Early Years Consultant for several London authorities where she supports and advises childminders, pre-schools and schools on best practice. She delivers training on all aspects of the Early Years Foundation Stage. She has a particular passion for the outdoors and is a fully qualified Forest School Leader. She co-leads Lambeth’s Natural Thinkers project – Connecting Children to Nature
She works part-time for Lambeth Early Action Partnership (LEAP) working on developing and implementing strategies to enhance and develop communication and language for children 0-4 years. Natural Thinkers is one of the programmes being implemented to support this work