Company Number 10411643. © All rights reserved, STEEP 2019
Safeguarding: Introduction for new DSLs (Level 3) – 28 April 2020
28 April @ 09:30 - 15:30
Introduction for new DSLs (Level 3)
The aim of this course is to prepare those new to the DSL role to carry out their responsibilities with confidence. This one day course focuses on the roles and responsibilities of the DSL and will draw on key guidance and current best practice. It is aimed at those new to or about to take up the DSL or Deputy DSL role in;
- Early Years PVI Sector
- Ofsted registered provision, delivering the EYFS
- Schools and settings
This course is a requirement for those holding or about to hold a DSL or Deputy DSL position.
SPECIFIC LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Be familiar with the key texts relevant to the DSL role
- Understand the 4 key components of the DSL role; training, managing referrals, raising awareness and working with others
- Appreciate (where appropriate) the nature of the ‘nominated’ safeguarding governor role and the importance of working closely together.
- Understand the need to maintain high standards of safeguarding within the organisation by regular auditing of the organisations performance via either annual report or Section 11 audits.
- Understand the role of the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) in relation to allegations about professionals
- Consider strategies to reduce to risk of allegations against professionals.
- Provide useful tools, strategies and resources to carry out the role effectively and promote best practice within the organisation.
Please note Before taking this course, you must have completed foundation safeguarding (levels 1 & 2) and you may be asked to provide your certificate as proof of completion. Foundation safeguarding can be completed online free of charge. Please refer to our website for further information https://www.steep.org.uk/safeguarding/
Tea and coffee are provided however lunch is not. We would recommend you bring your own lunch as the nearest shops are a 10/15 minute walk away.
Daphne McKenna – Training in Practice, in Partnership with STEEP