Company Number 10411643. © All rights reserved, STEEP 2019
Safeguarding: Introduction for new DSLs (Level 3)
28 January @ 09:30 - 15:30
Hatcham Oak Early Childhood Centre, Wallbutton Road, Brockley, London, SE4 2NX
Introduction for new DSLs (Level 3)
The aim of this course is to prepare those new to the DSL role to carry out their responsibilities with confidence. This one day course focuses on the roles and responsibilities of the DSL and will draw on key guidance and current best practice. It is aimed at those new to or about to take up the DSL or Deputy DSL role in;
- Early Years PVI Sector
- Ofsted registered provision, delivering the EYFS
- Schools and settings
This course is a requirement for those holding or about to hold a DSL or Deputy DSL position.
Before taking this course, you must have completed foundation safeguarding (levels 1 & 2) and you may be asked to provide your certificate as proof of completion. Foundation safeguarding can be completed online free of charge. Please refer to our website for further information https://www.steep.org.uk/safeguarding/
Tea and coffee will be provided however due to COVID19, we would recommend everyone bring their own tea/coffee in a safe thermos. Lunch is not provided. We would recommend you bring your lunch with you as the nearest shops are a 10/15 minute walk away.
Specific Learning Outcomes:
- Be familiar with the key texts relevant to the DSL role
- Understand the 4 key components of the DSL role; training, managing referrals, raising awareness and working with others
- Appreciate (where appropriate) the nature of the ‘nominated’ safeguarding governor role and the importance of working closely together.
- Understand the need to maintain high standards of safeguarding within the organisation by regular auditing of the organisations performance via either annual report or Section 11 audits.
- Understand the role of the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) in relation to allegations about professionals
- Consider strategies to reduce to risk of allegations against professionals.
- Provide useful tools, strategies and resources to carry out the role effectively and promote best practice within the organisation.
Terms and Conditions of Purchase
By purchasing this ticket online I agree to the following terms and conditions:
COVID19: In purchasing this ticket you acknowledge the precautions we have taken in line with Government guidance to reduce the risk of spreading COVID19 and agreed to only attend training if you believe it is safe to do so. View these measures in the next tab.
Payment: Payments are made in advance of the event taking place. If you attend the event without having paid for a place, you may be turned away from the event.
It may be possible to make an online payment on arrival at the event to gain entry where places are available, but this facility cannot be guaranteed.
Timekeeping: Prompt time keeping is essential in ensuring a professional learning environment. Late-comers may be refused admission to the course/training event where entry may be detrimental to the learning of others.
Cancellation: If you are no longer able to attend the course, please notify us by email STEEPcontact@gmail.com, giving us at least 7 days notice. If you fail to do this your full course fee will be retained. In the event the organiser has to cancel or reschedule the event, your booking will be transferred to the next available date or a full refund provided.
Refund policy: Refunds will only be given if the attendee gives 7 days notice of non-attendance. After this time no refunds will be given.
Please DO NOT attending training if you have any of the following symptoms as you will not be admitted to the training room:
- Continuous cough
- A loss of smell or taste
If you believe you may have been in contact with someone in the last 7 days who has COVID19 symptoms, please DO NOT attending training .
Please DO NOT attend training if you are in the governments ‘high risk’ category. Find out about these categories here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/whos-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/
STEEP will take the following measures to assist with social distancing measures during the training:
- The training room will be cleaned and sanitised pre and post the training event
- All chairs will be placed 2 meters apart
- Delegates will be provided with clipboards instead of tables to reduce common ‘touch points’
- Windows will be left open to enable air circulation through the training room
- Hand sanitiser as well as soap and water will be available throughout the day
- Masks will be on sale to delegates if they would like to wear them (this will not be mandatory)
We ask all delegates to social distance during their training and we reserve the right to ask anyone who does not comply to leave.
What people are saying about the course
“The course was informative and thought provoking, whilst also alerting new DSL’s to some of the potential pitfalls that they may come across in this role. Daphne is hugely knowledgeable, yet approachable, and no question seemed too small for her to take seriously – which helped to develop the trainees’ understanding.”
Deputy Headteacher, Lewisham
“Really good , I’ve learnt so much and gained an insight into all aspects of procedures.”
Acting DSL, Southwark
“Very informative and very well presented with some good real life examples.”
Participant, ASD Secondary School